Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Wonderful Concert - April 5, 2009

A list of my favorite albums of all time would start like this:
1 Abbey Road – The Beatles
2 Restless Nights – Karla Bonoff
3 The White Album - The Beatles

I bring this up only to emphasize the thrill I just had. Not only did I get to hear Karla Bonoff in concert at The Barns at Wolf Trap in Virginia tonight, but I actually got to meet her and tell her how much her music had meant to me over the years. Got an autograph too!

This is a concert I had looked forward to for a long time. I’ve watched Karla’s web site for years hoping to see her again, as she doesn’t play often. I first saw her in Memphis over 20 years ago, and still listen to her albums to this day. Every song she ever recorded is on my ipod.

The acoustics in this venue were as good as any place I’ve ever been. And what an incredible voice. Wow.

The good news is I sat dead center in the second row. The bad news is that I had the talking, screaming, drunk couple from hell sitting next to me. I felt like Karla was giving me a personal concert. This couple acted like she was doing it just for them. They talked to her, loudly. The girl sang every song she knew at the top of her lungs. If they didn’t know the song, they made out. I’m not making this up. Fortunately, people started “shusing” her and she calmed down, and I’m happy to say I was able to ignore her.

It was a thrill to hear this music, and I hope it's not the last time I get to hear her in concert.

No comments: