Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My first top 25

Got a lot of reaction to my Karla Bonoff remarks, mostly “Who’s she?” and “What did she sing?” which led to discussion of many female vocalists. Given the Facebook signature “25 random things about me” which I can’t imagine anyone would be interested in I thought I’d take a run at something that might get your nostalgic juices flowing, if there is such a thing as a nostalgic juice.
So here is my “purely personal "25 favorite female vocalist performances,” in approximate order:

A Song for You by Karen Carpenter
Trouble Again by Karla Bonoff
Me and Bobbie Magee by Janis Joplin
Think of Me by Sarah Brightman
Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton
Don’t Cry for Me Argentina by Patti Lupone
Somebody to Love by Grace Slick
Sundown Lady by Lani Hall
Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt
It’s Too Late by Carole King
First We Take Manhattan by Jennifer Warnes
All I Want to Do is Make Love to You by Ann Wilson
At 17 by Janis Ian
Rhiannon by Stevie Nicks
You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Dusty Springfield
Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez
Seven Year Ache by Roseanne Cash
Desperado by Linda Ronstadt
Up on the Roof by Laura Nyro
The Tender Trap by Stacey Kent
Work to Do by Vanessa Williams
How Will I Know by Whitney Houston
Shame by Evelyn “Champagne” King
Papa Don’t Preach by Madonna
You’re So Vain by Carly Simon
Down at the Twist and Shout by Mary Chapin Carpenter
They Can’t Take That Away from Me by Ella Fitzgerald
Down to The River by Alison Krause
You Only Live Twice by Nancy Sinatra
Be My Baby by Ronnie Spector

Well, as you can see, I couldn’t limit it to 25 – and that was without putting anyone on twice, which I would have done, and stopping at 30 made me leave off My City was Gone by Chrissie Hinds and What’s Love Got to Do with It by Tina Turner, as well as Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morisette, Jewell, etc. but at least I snuck a couple more in. Tonight I’ll jump up and think of one I can’t believe I left off….
Favorite Male Vocalist performances coming soon….
Your favorites?

No comments: