Tuesday, October 28, 2008

At the Cinema - October 2008

Some quick reviews. Think I'll use a 10 point scale. 10 points will be a masterpiece. 1 point will be a disaster. For example Rear Window would be a 10. The Black Dahlia would be a 1.

W. I give it a 7. Surprisingly sympathetic story of George W Bush directed by Oliver Stone. Interesting insights into his motivations. Funny in some parts, and riveting in others. The scene in which he and his advisors decide to invade Iraq was superb. Good movie.

Religulous. I give it an 8. While it was as funny as I thought it would be, it was also scarier than I thought it would be and actually contributed to my understanding of the middle east. Here's the bad news - doubt you'll ever see it in Mississippi. Like Al Gore's movie - you'll have to take a trip.

Eagle Eye. 7 points. Went to see this in an Imax theater just so I could see what an Imax theater would be like for a normal movie. The movie, which had gotten mixed reviews, was better than I expected. First, you have to concede that all action movies are basically ridiculous. Then you can appreciate them for what they are - a suspension of all universal laws, starting with gravity. I just ask that they be partially conceivable. (Like the last Indiana Jones movie for example, which lost me when they went over the 3rd waterfall, although it apparently lost most people when they "nuked the fridge," now the movie version of "jumping the shark.") So, I enjoyed Eagle Eye - I fell for everything hook, line, and sinker. As for the Imax experience, I was more impressed with the audio than the video - but I'd do it again. Price a little inflated - kind of like buying Premium gas vs. Regular.

Burn After Reading. 7 points. Very funny. Lest you think Brad Pitt can't act, see this one. An entertaining piece of fluff. That's all I ask

Trouble the Water. 7 points. Documentary built around actual camcorder footage of a family riding out Katrina in the 9th ward, then being moved around the south until returning to their damaged home, a lot of incredible footage. Unfortunately, the preponderance of hip-hop music, while understandable, begins to wear down the ear drums and keeps it from elevation to the next level.

Confederate States of America. 8 points. Caught this mockumentary on IFC channel and it shocked me at times, infuriated me at times, but mostly had me rolling on the floor. It's a phony British documentary that tells the story of what would've happened had the South won the Civil War. Can't believe anyone had the balls to make this one.

Let me also comment on a TV Show. What am I really enjoying? Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles. This show interweaves its story between the two Terminator movies that took place before and the one that took place after. I don't know how they do it, but other than someone else playing (in flash forwards) the father of John Conner (instead of Michael Biehn) it is note perfect. Great stories, great action for TV. And dare I say this, but it may be elevating this story to the rarified Lord of the Rings/Star Wars air. Well done. If you've missed it, the first season is out on DVD, and you ain't seen nothing yet - the second season is even better. 8 points and moving toward 9.

I once watched Dancing with the Stars. I pretty much threw in the towel on it because like most of these shows there was too much yacking and not enough action. And I hated the result the year Emmit Smith beat Mario Lopez, a far superior dancer. Well, I would have voted early and often for Mario if I had known it would lead Emmit and his admitted appeal to his current gig on ESPN where he murders the English language every time he opens his mouth. Shame on ESPN. We can't raise the educational standards in this country when we lower the broadcast standards. Emmit isn't the only one on ESPN that garbles his syntax, but he is almost painful to listen to. ESPN is too influential - they've got to set a higher standard. Just my opinion.

No comments: