Monday, May 4, 2009

Jazz Fest Report 2009

There are three types of people in the world.
The Entertainers, the Entertainees, and those who don't care.

Since I haven't a lick of talent I'm definitely an Entertainee. I love to be entertained by good music, good movies, good sports, and even good TV.

Which brings me to our favorite event of the year - The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

On the first Saturday we got to see the Dixie Cups (Iko Iko) and an about-to-turn 90 Pete Seeger. Irma Thomas was great as always, and then I got to see the first "great performance - if you've read previous blogs" when James Taylor closed out the day with "You've Got A Friend."

On the second Friday we took in Beau Soleil, followed by Marcia Ball whose highlight was her mellow rendition of "Louisiana 1927." Bonnie Raitt did an incredible set with Jon Cleary sitting in. They were made to perform together and they got the crowd dancing. We closed our day with another "great performance" when we got to see Tony Bennett do "I Left My Heart." I'm always amazed at how good the pros are, and this Jazz Fest was no exception.
We walked around, took in some great music and more than a few calories.

Sorry you missed it - again. You'll get another chance next year. Plan now.

No comments: