Thursday, December 18, 2008

At the Cinema - November 2008

Movies I’ve seen lately rated on my unique 10 point scale:

Quantum of Solace - 6 – I’ve already forgotten what this was about. It was slightly better than I expected after reading the reviews – but only slightly. So much action, most of it ridiculous of course, that the fact that Daniel Craig is a good, but relentless James Bond is beside the point. Where was that gadget guy? Did he leave with the fun?

Pineapple Express – 1 – For the one time I laughed. In the great tradition of stoner movies such as Cheech and Chong, having never been stoned I didn’t get it. If you’re a stoner I’m sure you’ll find this hilarious, but only if you’re sufficiently stoned. Where can I get my money back?

Role Models – 8 – Hilarious with heart. I went just to kill time, and it killed me. Great comedy – go see it.

Cadillac Records – 8 – This historical accounting of Chess Records is a must for music lovers. Special kudos to Jeffrey Wright who gives a note perfect performance as Muddy Waters. This story of Little Walter, Howling Wolf, Etta James, and Chuck Berry and their music is beautifully done and sung. I’ll probably even buy the DVD.

Changeling - 7 – Angelina Jolie shines as she captures the 30’s all by herself. Clint Eastwood calmly drives us through another accounting of the corrupt Los Angeles police department. It’s riveting stuff, beautifully done. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - no one lights up the screen like Angelina. She is our movie star.

Journey to the Center of the Earth – 6 – Saw it in 3D and while it didn’t come up to one of the personal favorites of my youth, the Pat Boone/James Mason version, it’s fine family fare and fun enough for the money.


Synedoche New York - 7 - Complicated, brilliant and maddening. Not for the faint of concentration, and definitely not for everybody. I'll need to see it again for a final verdict - it's that complex.

No comments: