Thursday, February 1, 2007

My 2007 Super Bowl Take

 
Saintsations,
 
Not that anyone cares - most Saints fans certainly don't after two weeks of cold turkey withdrawal - but here's my Super Bowl prediction.
 
For many years the Super Bowl was easy to pick. 
 
In the years where there was only a one week break between the Championship games and the Super Bowl, the games were closer.  An upset was more likely, or the game closer than everyone thought it would be, when the teams had to go play right away.  The team that got better coaching seemed to do better - the premium was on coaching, and I found the team with the better offensive line advantage did better than expected. Both teams had momentum and came into the game on a high.
 
The incredible media hyper hype saps the spontaneity and momentum out of it and seems to transform it into the Belmont Stakes - never quite the exciting event you were hoping for.
 
I think the last time there was only a one week break was the game where the Titans came within 2 yards of pulling the upset over the Rams.  Great game.
 
I've always theorized that the two week break gave the team that was favored a better chance to pull away and widen the gap.  With so much time for both teams to prepare, the better team usually wins.
I've always felt that the 2 week gap was the main reason the Super Bowl is usually a dud.  That, along with the fact that the tedious, lengthy nipple revealing half time show, essentially adds another week of preparation to the event. 
 
Imagine that you're an executive making the biggest presentation of your life and we stop in the middle to take a 2 hour lunch.  "Come back at nap time and finish this for us, Biff, willya?"  Talk about a momentum killer.
 
Given that reasoning it would seem that The Colts should pull away from the Bears about 30 minutes after Prince has pulled his Little Red Corvette off the 50 yard line.
 
Not so fast Mr. Timberlake.  The recent games have been better.  Maybe I'm too close to it because I watched the Bears dismantle my team, but I think the Bears are going to keep it close. Can they do to the Colts on a clean field what they did to the Saints on the sliding toupee?  I think they can.  They'll run the ball, stop the run, pressure the Quarterback (I forget his name) and capitalize on their edge on special teams and turnover creation. 
 
So here's my prediction, which I hope you'll forget quickly if it doesn't come to pass.
The Bears lead by a safety late in the game and Vinatieri, in the irony of ironies, misses a medium range field goal, giving the Bears the Lombardi trophy. 
Headlines:  A Money Miss and we Miss Our Liquored up Kicker.
 
Stranger things have happened.  Like Clay Aiken being famous.
 
 
(Thus this morning's exchange upon seeing him on Good Morning America:
Rick:  "Isn't his 15 minutes up yet?"
Liz: (referring to his charitable work):  "He's doing good things."
Rick:  "I don't think you can consider muzzling Kelly Ripa enough to justify it.")
 
Ah, the wit and wisdom that gets bantered about in our household. 
This comes at a time when I'm watching the American Idol tryouts (this week featuring the Goddess Olivia Newton-John as a guest judge) and the televised tryouts for Grease (this week featuring the Goddess Olivia Newton-John as a guest judge) because this is the time of my life that I certainly want to spend 10 hours of my week watching bad singers sing badly to a happy guy using hip language, a woman in the middle, and an English guy on a game-show visa. And this week the Goddess Olivia who has been a revelation in how to say something nice to almost everyone even if they sucked.  Did I mention she was a goddess?  Even if she appears to have had "some work done."  Still a goddess.
 
I'm starting my Super Bowl spaghetti sauce Friday night if you'd like to join us for Sunday dinner.
Last party for awhile, although Donnie has petitioned us to have occasional video concert nights.
RSVP if you're coming.
 
If you'd like to read an article by someone who actually knows something about football, and is thus making a much better informed prediction, try this one:
 
 
Enjoy the game. 

No comments: