Thursday, December 7, 2017

Saints Reports #11 & 12 for 2017



For the first time I can remember in over 20 years I didn’t get to see much of the Saints game.  On November 26th they went to Los Angeles for their annual licking at the horns of the Rams.  (Ok other than last year when they ran up the score on the since-departed Gregggggg Williams of Super Bowl fame and BountyGate un-fame.  No, you don’t want to get on Sean Payton bad side.)

I watched a little of the game before hopping in my car to make a trek and listened to most of the game on Sirius radio, and it was the first time I’ve tuned in to the comedy stylings of Jim Henderson and Deuce McCallister.  While Henderson is a local icon I found that he was not all that great at yardage calls, so I’d think a play had gone for 5 yards and it had actually gone for 15.  Maybe he’s just getting old.  As for Deuce I was very surprised, as I didn’t expect much, but his knowledge of rules, formations, and plays was informative and enjoyable.  He seemed to be in Sean Payton’s head. 

What wasn’t enjoyable was the way the Saints played.  Defensively it sounded like the absence of Marshawn Lattimore was a heavy burden, and Rams new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips stuffed the line of scrimmage, essentially slowing our running game.  Drew Brees would normally take advantage of that, but for some reason he didn’t and the close final score of 26-20 only indicates that the Saints threatened to pull off another miracle comeback at the end.  They bottom line is that should the Saints meet the Rams in the playoff, I like our chances, injuries permitting.  Another thought is that Wade Phillips may be the best defensive coordinator in the game.  His Broncos defense of 2 years ago smothered teams on the way to a Super Bowl victory, and Denver is in total disarray today without him. 



I’m always surprised in the super-competitive NFC South when there is a sweep of a season series, and I’m usually happy to settle for 3 splits in the division.  So Sunday’s domination of the Carolina Panthers, with Lattimore still sidelined was a most pleasant surprise.  We, like Willie Nelson were on the road again but stopped to watch most of the game.  My lasting impression of the game was the Saints pass rush coming up the middle right at Cam Newton, and Cammie didn’t like that. 

Of course there was one consistent impression from both games, and that is the versatile and dangerous Alvin Kamara who runs with a combination of power and shiftiness that is a rare commodity.  So, who is the Saints MVP this year?  Let’s think for a minute about the outstanding draft they had, and in the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I watched the draft and was disgusted that week.  I wanted an edge rusher and I was baffled by their picks.  I’m sure I’ve been more wrong, but I can’t remember when (and yes I’m forgetting my Super Bowl pick for this year.)  Let’s also take our hats off to the free agents like Adam Klein and Ted Ginn Jr who have made an impact as well.

A couple of years ago when the Saints were floundering and fans were starting to call for the heads of Loomis and Payton, they realized they had to address organizational deficiencies so they hired Jeff Ireland as their assistant GM and College Scouting director.  Yep that’s the way business really works.  They made some changes.  They’ve hit on numerous signings and draftees this year, one of whom, 3rd team quarterback Taysom Hill even made a splash on special teams this week.  Let’s take our hats off to the team’s scouts and their contribution:

Director of Pro Scouting
Assistant General Manager/College Scouting Director
Pro Scout
Pro Scout
Pro Scout
National Scout
National Scout
National Scout
Cody Rager   
Area Scout
Area Scout
Area Scout
Area Scout
Combine Scout
College Scouting Coordinator
Player Personnel Analyst
Football Analyst
Scouting Assistant
Scouting Assistant
Scouting Assistant
Football IT

Tonight it’s Atlanta where they were so mad about that Super Bowl loss that they imploded the stadium, an extreme reaction if there ever was one.  May Kamara run wild while Grover Klemmer stays far away.

Lastly, an exchange from the road trip:
Rick:  My memory just isn’t what it used to be.
Liz:  That’s because you remember a bunch of useless stuff like who batted third in the 1986 World Series.
Rick:  Keith Hernandez

 Image result for alvin kamara

No comments: