Sunday, September 7, 2014

Saints Report #1 - September 7, 2014

The only thing missing Sunday was Steve Spagnoulo as the Saints reverted to their defensive form of that lost year of 2012 by allowing a whopping 568 yards to Atlanta.    The Falcons’ 37 – 34 overtime victory was not unexpected, but still a bitter way to start the season, especially since the Saints squandered a 13 – 0 lead.

How did Matt Ryan throw for a franchise record 448 yards?  The pocket.  The Saints surprising approach was to pressure Ryan not at all.  The pocket might as well have been the Great Wall of China.

Quarterbacks have a mental clock running in their head as they drop back.  Here’s what a typical Ryan sequence had to have been like:

Count one:  I see the safeties are deep, I’m going to have to throw underneath
Count two:  Roddy White should be breaking open pretty quickly
Count three:  Julius Jones should also be open now
Count four:  No reason to hurry here, I’m thinking about pizza after the game
Count five:  This is nice protection and I’m guessing the kids will want pepperoni, but I really like sausage
Count six:  I wonder if Tony Gonzalez is watching the game.  He’d really enjoy this
Count seven:  Let me move a little here as there’s a little commotion on my left
Count eight: Zip

Lesson 1:  Very few teams have the cornerbacks to cover both Julio Jones and Roddy White, and the Saints are one of them.  The Falcons, with the addition of Devin Hester have 4 legit wide receivers.  If you think you can sit back and play coverage, you’ve got what we’ll call “The Spags.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Saints were efficient, but their two turnovers cost them dearly.  Both teams had end zone turnovers. The Saints marched down the field and Brees tried to force a ball into Brandin Cooks in the end zone and the interception cost the Saints precious points.

Then in overtime, the normally reliable Marquis Colston had a rough day, dropping the first pass, then catching and fumbling the second.  Matt Bryant kicked the tie breaker through from 52.

Other than that, the Saints offense looked sharp.  Brees threw for 333 yards and looked primed for another productive year.   Rookie Brandin Cooks showed great promise, and I’ll bet anyone who wants to bet $1, that he caught more passes (7) in this game than Nick Toon will in his NFL career.  Toon was inactive after being kept on the squad, but Robert Meachem was active even though he was cut and brought back.  Just thought I would mention that mystery.  Yep, we kept Toon, but cut Ryan Griffin, who after a rough opening Sunday for QB’s will undoubtedly get picked up this week. 

Lesson 2:  the Saints offense is probably good for about 34 a day.  Rob Ryan’s defense looked terrible and all they have to do is hold the opponents under say 30 a game and the Saints will be fine. 

So now the Saints travel to Cleveland.  One has to get excited about what could be going through Johnny Football’s mind should he get on the field:

Count 1:  Whoa, where is that linebacker running to?
Count 2:  Hey this is fun and these guys are really fast
Count 3:  Where did my slot guy run off to?
Count 4:  I wonder if my pictures are safe in the cloud?
Count 5:  All these celebrities had their nude pictures stolen from the cloud and published on the internet but where are they and why can’t I find them?
Count 6:  I’ve got to find Jennifer Lawrence’s pictures.
Count 7:  I better run 
Count 8:  Zip.  I wonder if I'll ever meet Miley Cyrus?

No comments: