Friday, September 10, 2010

Saints Report # 1 - September 9, 2010

Man, my time at the University of Southern Mississippi seems so long ago.
I was young, and spry, and could move around a lot more easily.

Yesterday was a long day. I took another pounding in New Orleans. We left early and the build up to the game seemed to go on forever. To be honest, I was a little drained from the hoopla. Could my enthusiasm be waning? Or is it just harder to concentrate at my age? Maybe I should have taken my off season conditioning a little more seriously.

By game time, my feet hurt, and that was just from the pre-game walk through. In the heat, I had trouble staying hydrated. After the game, my legs felt a hundred years old. My joints feel like they needed lubricant. I remember that one hit I took. Wow. It was a long walk to the car and an even longer drive home. Maybe I should have stayed in Mississippi.

No, my name is not Brett Favre.
And that hit I took was from a huge guy as I was leaving the concession stand.

Now, about the game.
Well the game wasn’t pretty. But if the Saints defense plays like that all year the whole NFL has to be worried. Yes, the offense didn’t do great. Dropped passes and missed field goals are not a good sign. But grinding out a 14-9 victory Rickey Jackson-style is a W and we’ll take it. This was an old fashioned defensive whipping. It wasn’t turnover dominated, like last year. It was just good ole stifling defense. Impressive.

The thing I thought about during the game was the incredible job that the Saints have done on free agents. The quarterbacks of the offense and defense – Brees and Vilma were cast off from teams. How different things could have been.

I can only wonder what the offensive meetings must have been like this week. “We’re going to throw the ball the first half, and run it the second half.” I’m sure I’ve seen stranger game plans, but I don’t know when. The Juicy Fruit Genius did it again, so you’ve got to hand it to him.

The pre-game hype, the unfurling of the Championship Banner, the incredible atmosphere around the dome was what will be unforgettable about last night. I can remember just 10 years ago. Few came early, few came dressed, few tailgated. Now it’s a zoo. Champions Square has to be seen to be believed.

Glad I didn’t stay in Mississippi

No comments: