Friday, September 7, 2007

Countdown to Kickoff 9-3-07

It’s that time again.  It’s time for us to have some Saints-watching parties, with the price of admission being that you have to put up with these emails that I will post on my blog.
 
Thursday night it finally comes – The Super Bowl.  Saints vs. Colts – the way it should have been just 7 months ago.
 
So much has changed.  Offensively, we should be even better.  What an array of weapons.  Pierre Thomas looks like a Reggie Bush clone.  As a free agent he sent Antonio Pittman packing.  (Quick, name a great pro who came out of Ohio State.)
Lance Moore and David Patten both look better than Joe Horn did last year.  Meachem can’t get off the pine with the talent ahead of him. 
 
Defensively, the Saints look better and deeper.  I don’t see a game breaker on special teams unless Reggie is back there.
 
The Colts look weaker and depleted.  I’d say the Saints should win this virtual rematch.
But, there is one great equalizer – Peyton.  When he’s not shooting commercials he’s working hard and studying and is the consummate pro.  The Colts will always be a threat.
I’m calling it Saints 41 Colts 31, but I’m hoping the Saints are up 41 with 5 minutes to go.
 
Are these two headed for the Super Bowl?  No way to tell.  Unfortunately the NFL Championship is not really about who plays the best all year long.  It’s about qualifying for “the tournament” then getting hot and healthy at about the same moment – say about January 1st.
 
Nevertheless, here’s my bold prediction.
 
Saints (12-4) beat the Rams (10-6) in the NFC Championship in the Super Dome.
The Patriots over the Chargers in the AFC Championship game for the right to lose to the Saints in Glendale.  Which they will.
 
You laughed at me last year at this time when I said the Saints were going to the Super Bowl.  Bet it doesn’t sound so far fetched this time.
What's your prediction?
See you in Glendale.
 
But first, I’ll see you at my house Thursday Night.  RSVP please.  If enough are coming I’m cooking a ham and potatoes au gratin.  If not, it will be something smaller.
Depends on how many want to join the party.  

No comments: